Monday, September 10, 2012

SURVIVORS - Cindy and Lidia

With the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure event coming up this weekend, I have been thinking a lot about why I walk this event and why the cause means so much to me. I have a lot of reasons: my daughter, my sister, my mother, my sisters-in-law, my friends, myself and women all over the world - we are all at risk, naturally (men too, actually). Thankfully I have not had any breast cancer in my immediate family but my friends have not been as fortunate. Two specific ones come to mind today... Cindy and Lidia.

Last Saturday, Cindy and I walked 12 miles (I needed the training miles). Cindy is a good friend - I'm so happy to have - and also a breast cancer survivor. I met Cindy through Vancouver Fit a couple years ago. Our friendship has grown and we started walking together outside of the group walks. Like most of my friends, we walk for exercise but just as much for the conversation time! Cindy has been a survivor for a year and a half. She admires my dedication to the 3-Day event, donates towards my fundraising goals and hopes to be able to join in and walk it herself next year. Cindy's mother and two of her friends were recently diagnosed with breast cancer as well. It is a sad reminder that this disease is all too common - 1 out of 8 women get breast cancer - and also a constant reminder as to why I am so determined to try to do my part by raising funds and awareness. Yes, the 3-Day event is fun to walk, but the fun is secondary to the seriousness of the cause.

Cindy has her own family business, coaches at Vancouver Fit and walks in numerous half marathons throughout the year! She seems almost shy about saying she is a breast cancer survivor because she says her breast cancer "wasn't that bad." Thankfully, she caught it early enough.

Regardless, Cindy, cancer is cancer and YOU ARE A SURVIVOR! Your story can and will help others because as a survivor, you represent hope for the future! ((HUGS!))

Cindy and Nancy - 2012 Vancouver Half Marathon

After walking our 12 miles on Saturday, Cindy gave me the best shoe bling ever! I immediately attached it to my laces and told her I was taking her with me on the 3-Day next weekend! Thank you, Cindy!

Best shoe bling E-V-E-R!
Lidia is a five year survivor. She was my next door neighbor for awhile and we became good friends. She later moved to Dallas, Texas and it was at that time that she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was sad she wasn't my neighbor anymore so I could help her go through whatever she faced but I kept in contact with her and was able to go visit her. It was really hard to see someone so young (she was 31), with a very young child, having to go through this fight.

Lidia and her daughter

As Lidia laid in her bed recovering from chemo and radiation, she spent hours and hours learning to use her new fancy camera. She wanted to take pictures for a living and wanted to do it well. Over time she became stronger and healthier and then started her own photography business, Oh So Posh. She became very successful at it but didn't stop there - she wanted to give back... pay it forward... help others who were suffering. She personally knew what the fear, despair, and uncertainty felt like so she knew she could connect with others going through the same. Lidia started the Tiny Sparrow Foundation (also on Facebook here).  "The Tiny Sparrow Foundation is a non-profit foundation that provides professional photography, free of charge, to families of children with life threatening illnesses. These photos provide the families with the gift of precious memories."

I'm so proud to know someone that gives so much of herself for the benefit of others! She still has her own health issues and is dealing with her young daughter's health issues but yet she continues to give of herself and bring joy to others' lives during their very dark and uncertain times. I'm so proud of you, Lidia! Mucho love and respect!


Lidia and her daughter - five years later

I am so proud of these women and happy to have them in my life! They remind me of how precious life really is. As I walk those 60 miles this weekend, I will be walking with my friends, Cindy and Lidia, in my heart and soul. I will walk for them and in their honor - these are two very strong survivors! I will walk with hope for their future and for the future of others because...

Everyone deserves a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment