Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A Very Precious Delgado Family Gem


Maria Ruiz Villalobos
1906 - 2015

Ray's Grandmother (his father's mother) passed away today.  She was 109 years young. She was such a beautiful person, inside and out. She was born on July 25, 1906. Just imagine all that has changed in the world during her lifetime. She saw so much of it yet saw so little of it. Maria lived her life in a very small town in Mexico.

I fell in love with her several years ago when I first met her - like anyone would do. She was a very special woman. She did not speak English but of course I had translators (Ray and family) by my side to allow communication to take place between us. She loved the sound of English and smiled and laughed when you spoke to her directly, even though she had no idea what you were saying! She sang songs like a beautiful bird and told stories from long ago. Her mind was very sharp - she knew who you were and what was going on around her. When she laughed (giggled), her entire body bounced with the joy she felt - you couldn't help but laugh and smile right along with her! Her life was simple and peaceful. She did not have all the amenities that we are accustomed to but it didn't matter, she had all she needed. It humbled me tremendously to see how one can live with so little yet be so comfortable, content and well-off. Her life was not cluttered with "stuff". Her life did not revolve around the material objects she could obtain - she had so very few of them.  However, her life was RICH with family, love, peace, and happiness! I found myself envious of her existence - so simple and real!

Maria credited her long life and good health to God... and to wearing her scapular!

Catholic Scapular
"... A sign of salvation, a protection in danger and a pledge of peace..."

She told us the story of how she once fell backwards down a flight of cement steps at the church (not all that long ago!). People ran to her from all directions to see if she was alright. When asked, she said, "Of course I'm alright! I'm wearing my Scapular!" Her belief was so strong that it really had protected her. She told us she had only been hurt 12 times in her life, thanks to wearing her Scapular. 

She had the Priest bless one for each of us. I wore mine around my ankle until it simply shredded off. I once tripped and fell after a race and people came to see if I was alright. My friend yelled out, "Of course she's alright! She's wearing her Scapular!" (She knew the story.)  It worked! Maria was so right!

My daughter, son, Ray and I were fortunate enough to get to attend Maria's 105th birthday in 2011. It was quite the celebration and a very special time. There were over 300 people there (all related family!) and that wasn't even close to being ALL of them because many were unable to make it! Unbelievable. Having 14 children herself, she has over 160 grandchildren and over 200 great-grandchildren. She has great-great grandchildren and great-great-great grandchildren!

After that birthday bash, she asked not to have such celebrations in her honor - she was getting tired. Smaller ones occurred but not the big blowout of her 105th.

I believe my life is richer because of Maria - I am humbled because of her, more conscious and grateful. She showed me that life isn't at all about the material objects but about family, love and tranquility. I'm so fortunate to have known her and to have been a part of her family.

I will always remember her strength - she endured a lot in her 109 years - her smile, her giggles (like a young school girl), her sweet soft voice and her beautiful singing that made everyone grow silent and feel as if they were among the angels. She truly was an angel on earth.  She touched my heart and soul, like no other. She will be greatly missed and forever cherished.

Te quiero mucho, Abuela! Tengo la suerte de haber conocido a usted! Descanse en Paz, la abuela más querida!

Pictures from her 109th birthday...





Pictures from her 105th birthday...



105 years old
July 2011
Ray's Father with his Mother


My son with his bisabuela (Great-Grandmother) So precious...

She refuses to use a wheelchair because "Those are for old people!"
Helping her is her youngest son (my father-in-law) and one of his sons (Ruben).

Her home

Her caretakers ... sisters, both in their 80's!

Ray and his grandmother

We all had our pictures taken with her... we were leaving to go home.
It was very difficult for me to say goodbye to this woman.

Matthew and Great Grandmother

Brittany and Great Grandmother



2 comments:

  1. She is now at peace and singing with the angels. How lucky she was for a large, loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is now at peace and singing with the angels. She was blessed to live such a long, loving life filled with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete