Thursday, May 4, 2017

Arizona Hiking - Picacho Peak


I recently traveled to Arizona to visit my dad and his wife and while there I wanted to climb Picacho Peak if the weather wasn’t too hot. I’m used to hiking in the cold and snow, not in high temperatures. With a forecast of 100°F for the day, Carolin and I decided to start early ahead of the heat. When we hit the trail at 7:00 a.m. it was already in the upper 60’s, which of course is still a lot warmer than I’ve been hiking in lately so I was warm – temps in the 40’s are more my style! Carolin was a little chilled to start with but it didn’t take long before we were both warmed up and sweating.



The hike up Picacho Peak is an out and back hike, a little over four miles and has an elevation gain of 1620 feet. The climb is rated as difficult and yes, it definitely was at times... scary too! Add the direct sun and the hike becomes difficult and HOT. I had 3 liters of water in my pack and drank it ALL.

Being in the Arizona desert, the slightest elevation gain makes you believe you can see the whole world around you! However, instead of looking out in the distance while hiking, I was very busy looking at the steps ahead of me (so many rocks!) and watching for rattle snakes! Thankfully I didn't see any... they blend in too well. ;)


The first part of the hike is on the north side of the mountain and consists of steep switchbacks up to a saddle. The grade becomes steep almost right away. The trail is very rocky and at times you can’t detect a trail at all. I had to stop and look up to see where Carolin was many times just to keep myself going in the right direction. In some areas there are arrows painted on the rock for those that don’t have the advantage of hiking with a Park Ranger like I did. Thanks Carolin! ;)

Once you reach the saddle you are about half way to the peak. There is a nice park bench up there that you really should take advantage of because from that point on the real climbing begins. In fact, I think I should be able to add “rock climbing” to my resume now!



Over the saddle to the south side of the mountain you go DOWN (in other words, lose some of that elevation that you just worked so hard to get up) a little more than 200 feet. This area is all rock and very steep. There are cables for you to hold on to and it is easiest (and safest) to go down backwards. 








Around the curve at the bottom of this descent you start your way back up. There are many areas where the trail is very narrow and of course very steep. Some of the “step ups” were larger than my legs could possible stretch so it required searching out spots where my hands and toes could get a good grip (rock climbing!) and sometimes my “good grip” was seriously questionable. 

Prior to climbing Picacho Peak, I searched it out on the internet as I always do (I like knowing what I’m getting myself into.). I ran across a write up where a woman called it “Picacho Peak aka Hell Hike” and she mentioned a “death chute”. The article is a bit funny and dramatic but because of it, I was constantly on the lookout for the impending “death chute”.

And there it was...


The “death chute” is VERY steep with cables on both sides (thankfully). The steps are big stretches apart, just a toe spot to step up on most of the way, and arm muscles are definitely required. Naturally I made Carolin go first to show me the way. (I was scared! haha)




Unknown to me at the time, Carolin was videotaping my climb. Apparently I sniffle a lot and talk to myself too! haha Thank you for the video, Carolin!





High-five! I conquered the "death chute!! But how was I going to get back down it?!


After the “death chute” there were other tough and precarious areas to maneuver but nothing quite as physical as that was. 



Once we reached the top of the peak, it was all smiles, high-fives and a 360 degree view!







We sat up there on top of the world for quite a while and enjoyed the “high” of reaching our destination. I didn't care how long we stayed because I really wasn’t looking forward to going down! Down is always more difficult for me because I’m usually scared (seriously) and extra cautious which makes me slower. I fight it. But… short of a helicopter coming to my rescue... I had no option. 

Back down the "death chute" we went. Carolin first...






Then me...


After two false starts and a whole lot of “Woosah’s” coming out of my mouth, I went for it. I took my first backwards step and of course - this is me we’re talking about - I could not find anything to put my foot on! Hanging on for dear life while dangling my right foot into the abyss (no, I’m not dramatic at all! haha), Carolin - very quickly I should say - made her way back up to me. She placed my foot where it needed to be (I just wasn’t stretched out far enough!).  The chute is so steep that I could see her between my feet so for the rest of the way down she pointed out “left foot here… right foot here… left foot here...”. Thankyouverymuch. When I reached the bottom my legs had turned to rubber. No lie.


We took our time going down... down.. down... until we finally made it back to the area before the saddle, this time having to seriously PULL our way back up it. 

Yes, I was a bit slower so someone had to wait on me (hehe) and yes, my arms were quite sore the next day!



Back on the saddle we took a long break on that lovely little bench up there and enjoyed the view around us. The rest of the hike was a piece of cake compared to what we had just done although it was steep and rocky so you couldn’t just zoom down it. Apparently this is the area where most people get hurt (they are tired and less cautious) and this is the only area that I actually slipped and fell smack down on my rear-end. Let me tell you... those rocks are not padded.  Ouch.

I had a fantastic day! It was physically challenging and mentally challenging at times too. I loved every minute of it even though I was nervous (okay… terrified) at times. 

I love pushing myself past my fears and accomplishing things I set out to do. I was determined that I was going to make it to the top of Picacho Peak.  Thank you Carolin for getting me up and down that beast! 





2 comments:

  1. I love your writing. I felt like I was right there with you. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrienne! I'm really enjoying life and love what I'm doing! It sure would be great if someday we could go on a hike together again! For old times sake! :) (Sorry it took me so long to see and respond to your comment!) Miss you!

      Delete