Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hazel Dell 8k

On February 24th I participated in the Hazel Dell 8k event created by Max Muscle. The event raised money for Panda Paws Animal Rescue, a local non-profit specializing in special needs canines.
 
I started training to RUN this event in January.  I was originally signed up for the half marathon, not the 8k. As the event date got closer, I realized there was no way I was going to be able to run the entire 13.1 miles... not even close! I suffered weeks of lower leg pain and wasn’t able to train like I needed to. Bullseye was suffering from leg pain as well and was in the same situation with training. As much as we wanted this to be the first half marathon for us to RUN instead of WALK, we couldn’t do it. With some coaxing by our wonderful coach, we switched to the 8k – a distance we knew we could run (and then celebrate) because we had run further than that in training.

For three days prior to race day, I had been working overtime - overtime as in 14 hour days. I was tired but still wanted to do the race. That morning I slept in as long as possible. Obviously...

 

Note to self: NEVER just jump out of bed, throw on the headband and hightail it to the race! Ya won't be thrilled to see the pics and to know you were actually looking like that in public! I had some serious BED-HEAD HAIR!  Excuse: I was REALLY TIRED. Sorry Bullseye... I killed the photos! :/
 
While waiting for the race to begin, we stood inside an empty building to stay warm. It was 39 degrees and breezy.  Cold but perfect weather for a run!

The horn blew and away we went! Bullseye and I usually start off walking for the first quarter to half mile to warm up but we were too excited and started running right away. I was “limp-running” (my new made up word) but from experience, knew the pain would eventually disappear to the back of my mind and I would just push through it. Not the smartest of all decisions I've made but hey, Pain and I are old friends! We know how to work with each other!  ;)



 
The first half of the course was pretty much all downhill. It was easy to run and we knew we were making good time. We also knew we had to come back up those hills because it was an out-and-back course and were already agonizing about it.

I found myself slowing down very early on. My diet had not been good the past few days while working (too much sugar, naturally) and I was not properly hydrated at all. It was very apparent and I felt terrible. Bullseye was just getting over a cold and felt pretty tired too. We kept encouraging each other and to be honest, Bullseye was dragging me along the entire way. I personally wanted to walk but I kept my feet moving because I knew I would be very disappointed in myself if I gave up. It was ONLY a 5 mile run. I would manage.
 
It sure felt a lot harder than it looks!


At one point going back up the hill (which felt more like a MOUNTAIN), I was slowing down to a crawl and told Bullseye to just go on ahead and finish the race. Instead, she slowed her pace and kept us both moving forward. 

We struggled while fighting the hills, leg pains and mental doubts… but we kept on running. We finally saw the finish line but were unable to sprint through it. We kept a steady pace and smiled for the cameras - wild hair and all! While running the last 15 yards of the course, I heard our coach on the microphone talking about how Bullseye and I had trained and walked together for a couple of years, were now training to run together, and that this was our first race as “runners”.  It was a very proud moment for all of us!


After finishing, our coaches – Tracy and Trevor – ran up to us and gave us great big hugs. They told us how proud they were of us and were as excited as we were! We finished the race in 1:00:09 (Bullseye finished in 1:00:06 to be exact!), averaging 12:06 minute miles. Tracy told us we averaged an awesome time considering ALL THOSE HILLS and both of our leg issues. Our plan going into the race was to finish in under an hour so that 9/100th of a second past the hour stung a little but really, we were just happy it was over with.  It was our first official 8k to run and now we have a time to beat!

 
Currently though, Bullseye is OUT on the injured reserve bench! She had a tibia stress fracture she didn't know about, which has been the cause of her leg pain. She isn't allowed to train at all - no walking, no running. She's less than happy about it and chomping at the bit to get moving again.

I feel like my own leg issue is getting better but it certainly is taking it's own sweet time. I'm trying not to run at all right now to give it a chance to completely heal. I'm tired of dealing with it. I'm peeved that our old damn bodies have made this running venture such a difficult one! OTHER people run WITHOUT injury so WHY NOT US?! We really aren't THAT old.

I truly enjoy running and will continue to reach for the stars and run that half marathon this year! I know I can do it!

Get better, Bullseye! You have miles to run!
 

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! I just loved reading this and cheering you on as you RAN your first race!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete