Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Ultimate Beginners Running Guide

The Ultimate Beginners Running Guide: The Key To Running Inspired

I was recently given a copy of this little treasure and wanted to share it with all of you that are thinking you would like to start running too! (You know who you are!) I found this book a great source of information and very beneficial, especially for someone just starting out. The book discusses everything from nutrition/hydration, shoes, injuries/treatment, proper form and staying motivated. It also discusses confidence and self-consciousness - two things I personally have really struggled with!

I like the way the author, Ryan Robert, organized his book, making it a fast read and very easy to understand. He discusses a topic, follows it up with tips and then summarizes what was just read. He also adds a few visualization exercises. I believe that the more you can visualize something, the more it will become a reality so I really appreciate the fact that these exercises are included.

When I'm out running now, I try to improve on such things as my foot strike, arm swing (straight ahead not side-to-side) and the (un)clinching of my fists (things you don't necessarily talk about in group training or even think about but that are discussed in this book). I stand up taller and look straight ahead and I have to admit, these improvements have made running easier for me. (Don't misunderstand, running hasn't been EASY for me at all but it is getting easiER and the book has definitely helped.)

The book offers training schedules for Active Beginners, Non-Exercisers, Weight Loss, and People 50 and Over. You can download these schedules for free so you can write on them and make them your own. Each schedule is 14 to 16 weeks long and provides you with the training to be able to run 60 minutes at a comfortable pace - which means you'll definitely be able to run your first 5k, 8k or 10k! (A great goal to set for yourself! I just ran my first 8k!)

If you are thinking about starting to run, I highly recommend you read this book. I know it will help you as much as it has helped me! It is a great guide to have in addition to my weekly group training program.

You can find The Ultimate Beginners Running Guide: The Key To Running Inspired on Amazon in paperback here or a downloadable version here.
____________________

"Once you've become inspired, only you can set the limits of what you'll accomplish." ~ Ryan Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment