Wednesday, November 27, 2013

November Thankfulness

We tend to use the month of November to tell people what we are thankful for. Why we don’t discuss these things year around is beyond me. There is ALWAYS something to be thankful for. Right?! Maybe we should start sharing our thankfulness once a month instead of just the 30 days of November. Obviously we should share our thankfulness EVERY DAY but if we did that, people would stop paying attention to us. Let's pick something to be thankful for each month and let it be known. Blog about it. Share it on Facebook or Twitter.  Shout it out to the world! There is always, always, always something to be thankful for!  Who’s with me on this?

Besides the obvious - thankful for family, friends, food, a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in every night, money for necessities (and then some), etc., etc., etc…. I want to focus on one thing this month – MY JOB.

I am very thankful for my job! I was hired in August and I absolutely love it! I can’t say enough wonderful things about the company, my co-workers, my bosses, and everyone else that works there! I honestly cannot find one single negative thing to say! There are no tempers flaring... no slammed doors... no petty gossip... no backstabbing! There is a ton of appreciation, no limit to teamwork, and plenty of smiles! This isn’t your typical law firm - at least not like the ones I've known in the past. This place is at the top of the list! I’m not sure how one company can hire so many wonderful people and not have a single bad egg but the fact that the Operations Manager (HR) has been there for 32 years probably says is all – she knows how to pick them! Many employees have been there for many years with no plans of leaving. Why would they?! The company treats its employees with respect and appreciation. (After all, the wheels wouldn’t turn without the hard work of the staff, correct?) I’m amazed and I feel truly blessed to have found this opportunity. I never wanted to return to a law firm after being laid off in 2010 (it left a bad taste in my mouth) but after spending a year in the financial business (I was in a very small office but it too was full of wonderful and giving people!), I decided to go back to where I was the most comfortable and knowledgeable about my job - the law firm.  And I’m so happy I did!

Being out of the business for three years, I was in the dark about how some of the courts now handle things and of course all firms do things differently, as well as individual attorneys, so I’ve had to learn A LOT - and I’m still learning every day - but I’ve had no end of help from everyone around me from accounting, to paralegals, secretaries, assistants, and the lawyers themselves! They are all happy to help me learn their way of doing things and all of the procedures. What a great place to be employed!

After two years of not working, I walked into the financial business a very beat down individual with absolutely zero self-confidence. I felt “stupid” and “worthless.” Being laid off was so traumatic for me and sent me into a very dark world of depression, one I wasn’t sure I would ever find my way out of. But finally being given the opportunity to work in a part-time job (at least that's how it started) gave me the ability to get my feet wet in the working world again and the opportunity to learn something new – proving to myself that I actually COULD learn. I really appreciated having the job and made some real friends there, who I miss now but know they are happy for me. It was a great job and it was exactly what I needed to get myself working again and to rebuild my confidence. I was sad to leave the people I worked with - I miss them all - but I knew I was making the best decision for me in the long run. They understood that too and I left knowing I could always return. (That's such a wonderful feeling...)

I'm very happy in my new environment and I feel very fortunate. 

I'm very, very thankful for my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment