Saturday, May 31, 2014

Fiesta 5k Ole! Seattle

On Saturday, May 3rd, I went to Seattle and participated in the Fiesta 5k Ole! event with my sister-in-law, Edith, and my nephew, Geronimo. It was a lot of fun! Obviously the real reason to go up north was to see family but hey, throw in a running event and it's a weekend bonus!

Not only was the running/walking event going on but there was also a Taco Truck Challenge! With taco trucks lined up on both sides of the street, there was plenty to eat and obviously a real reason for the Husbands to come see us at the finish line! (Can't get them to show up at our events without the lure of food!)

Edith, Geronimo and I showed up with plenty of time to spare before the race - we were worried about parking. There were over 1200 people there in all kinds of outfits, mustasches, and sombreos! How do people run in that stuff?! With that many people and such a short distance, you were always within the crowd. It was a lot of fun though and I actually learned that I really like the 5k event. You run/walk your 3.1 miles and BAM!, it's over!

Me being me (slow!) and Seattle being Seattle (hilly!), I finished the event in 38:01 averaging 12:16 per mile. Edith and Gero stayed with me but no doubt could have finished a lot faster had they gone on ahead! I had to walk the hills (three big ones) and was able to jog the rest. As short as it was and as much as I enjoyed it with Edith and Gero, I was happy when it was over. I'm completely out of shape, weigh too much, and haven't had my head in the game this year.

My brother-in-law, Gustavo, and Ray were at the finish line cheering us on... and waiting to eat! :) They sampled and ate from a few different trucks but the crowd was thick and getting food took quiet a while.  Me... I stuck with the "boring" and had a grilled cheese tortilla! (but it was good!) One thing I tried and LOVED was habanero lemonade!  Hot, spicy and AWESOME! Sounds weird, I know, but if you like HOT, it's really, really GOOD!

I think Edith and I will make this a yearly thing - good excuse to get together and a fun little event!

Edith, next year I promise to go a little faster...  ;)

Edith - looking good!


No comments:

Post a Comment