Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What you put into it is what you get out of it!

Wow, I have certainly gone through some changes in the past couple of weeks - mentally, physically and with my diet. I always remember (although I obviously didn't pay attention) something I read long ago... "If what you are doing week after week isn't giving you the results you want, it clearly is not working for you! Change it!" Why we waste weeks, months and sometimes even years trying to stick with a single plan, without seeing the desired results, is beyond me! I, myself, am very guilty of doing that! Over the past year I have lost and regained... and lost and regained... and LOST and REGAINED the same ten pounds! Clearly it was not working for me. VERY CLEARLY. Luckily, when I finally became conscious and started to make some changes, I was on the "lost ten pounds" side of that relationship so now I have actually lost new pounds and have broken out of that same ten-pound bracket. Whew. And it wasn't even that hard.

My friend and walking buddy, Linda, worked with me and taught me things about weights and resistance bands. She emphasized how important it is to work on all parts of your body and not just do one thing - walk. With the amount of walking I do, if it was the magic solution to losing weight, I would be a sack of skin and bones. But I'm not. Not at all. Walking certainly helps but it isn't the whole package.  Zeroing in on my diet and adding in weight training, I am finally making progress again after a year of sitting comfortably in one place. Thank you, Linda! (See... I do listen to you!)

Today I skipped out on the walking routine and opted for the "gym".  I put that in quotes because my "gym" is in my home. In a very crowded space we have a treadmill, an elliptical machine, a stationary bike and a Bowflex Home Gym. We also have scattered around the room some free weights, a seemingly very heavy 20-pound Kettlebell, a Red Chair, some resistance bands and an aerobic ball. Amazingly, I actually enjoyed the workout, using every machine in there for a minimum of 15 minutes each. I even JOGGED a full mile without stopping today - something I plan to do a lot more often! The Kettlebell nearly beat me down but I stood my ground and swung that beast like I was a participant on the Biggest Loser! Best of all (in my opinion), I was sweating like a Biggest Loser participant so I KNOW I accomplished what I set out to do today... I gave it absolutely everything I had!   I feel fantastic!

Check this video out!  If Ben Davis doesn't give you inspiration, I don't know who will!  HE IS MY BIG TIME HERO! 

My gym... (Husband really wants me to succeed!) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment