Sunday, July 1, 2012

For the Barking Bulldog and his Yappy Chihuahua

Two years ago today [I thought] my life was turned upside down. The economy had taken a nose-dive and like thousands of others, I was laid off. I had worked in that office for 12.5 years. To say it crushed me is an understatement. It caused me to doubt my own intelligence and self-worth. It caused major depression, anger and resentment. I became a recluse and refused to communicate with anyone other than those in my immediate family and a couple of close friends. I no longer wanted to do anything except sit on the couch and stare into space. It completely devastated me and it took me months to climb out of that very deep dark hole I had fallen into.

Thankfully I have a very supportive husband and family. Don't get me wrong, Husband and I had our issues - oh yes we did - because I was so depressed he had no idea how to save me from my own downward spiral. BUT, as always, he believed in me and stood firmly planted in his never-ending role as my pillar of strength. He was there waiting for me, knowing that in time I would find my footing once again. (Thank you, Husband.)

I eventually found my way back to the land of the living and amazingly, I emerged with a huge smile on my face - one that I continue to display to this day. I emerged with more self-confidence and poise. I emerged calm and relaxed... and happy.

My whole life became BETTER without that job! I thought it was such a tragedy to lose it but in reality they did me a huge favor! (Should I say 'thank you' ?... nah... never gonna happen!)

Being off work gave me a lot of free time that I learned to make good use of. I cleaned every closet, drawer, cabinet and storage box in the entire house and garage. I organized, got rid of, and took pride in keeping my home clean. Laundry was always caught up and I even started cooking a little (key words here: A LITTLE). I became a stay-at-home-mom and housewife... and LOVED IT!

My whole focus became my family and we became a much stronger unit. The way my family communicates now and lives in such harmony was worth losing that job one hundred times over again! I wouldn't trade it for anything. I had no idea how our lives would change for the better and benefit so much from something that I viewed as "devastating." It just goes to show...

"When a door closes, a window opens!"

I enjoyed spending nearly two years with my teen-aged son, getting him through the 8th grade and then through his first year of high school. The quality time spent with him at his age was very valuable and I am so thankful we had it together. I spent more quality time with my husband, daughter and mother too. Our relationships have all grown and become so much more than they were before. Life changed in so many positive ways!

Not only did my home life change, my social life changed as well. All that free time allowed me to walk more. When I wasn't walking alone (I really enjoy the solitude sometimes), I was spending time with my many newly-made friends that also enjoy walking. When you are walking great distances together, you spend an amazing amount of time with each other so you get to know each other quite well! These friendships have grown and become very meaningful to me. I feel so blessed! (Thank you ladies - I cherish each and every one of you!)

To top it all off, I am working again and have a wonderful job! A job I felt that "perfect fit" with from the very first interview. A job where the subject matter is completely new to me so I'm learning something new everyday. A job I look forward to every single morning. A job I have to commute to Portland for but actually enjoy the peaceful bus ride. A job with a low level of stress and a high level of professionalism. A job where everyone is seemingly very happy in their positions and the turnover rate is nonexistent (my position is new, not a vacant one) - most have been there 20+ years! It is a job I truly enjoy and am so thankful to have.

There is nothing "devastating" about this two-year anniversary. It is a time to celebrate the date I was given (somewhat forcefully!) the opportunity to start over and really enjoy my life. I am so happy!

My whole world opened up... not just a tiny little piddly window!

I TRULY AM BLESSED. LIFE IS GOOD!

Woof... Woof! 

No comments:

Post a Comment