Wednesday, January 2, 2019

White River Canyon Snowshoeing with Matthew

I've been waiting for this day for a long time! Today I took my son out on his first snowshoe hike. We went to the White River Canyon near Mt. Hood and the weather was perfect! It was 34 degrees and mostly sunny with very little wind until we were up around 5,000 feet. We both had moments during the hike up when we were too warm but as soon as we removed a layer, we were putting it right back on again.

We walked along a ridge until we either had to go straight up or slide down into the valley. We took the slide and then walked along the river. In the valley we had to cross the river two times to get back to the trailhead - the second time a bit more challenging than the first (wider and deeper). We stood there debating it and all of a sudden Matthew was on the other side! He said he didn't want to stand there and second guess himself so he just went for it. That meant I had no other choice but to get across myself.  I removed my snowshoes and threw them across before inching my way down the bank and then mustering up enough courage to make the jump. Crossing rivers is not my thing (neither is jumping)... but I made it... without falling in! 😉  Thanks for watching out for your mama, Matthew!  ;)

We didn't go all that far (3.90 miles) but it was Matthew's first time out and I just wanted him to get a feel for it. He really liked it and wants to go again soon. I can definitely make that happen! I had such a great day sharing something I love with my son. ❤ Thanks for joining me, buddy! 




















Happy New Year Y'all! 


I have a goal for 2019 that I want to reach. 52 hikes. It's called the 52 Hike Challenge. Today was my first hike of the year. I have a long way to go but I know myself and what I'm capable of doing... I will reach my goal!

2019 Hike 1/52


No comments:

Post a Comment