Saturday, May 11, 2019

Cape Lookout State Park - Hiking on the Oregon Coast

Today’s hike was a change of pace for me… literally. I joined a group of Mazamas on a “casual hike” and that it was. The distance was long and the elevation gain was big but the speed at which we traveled… pretty slow. We stopped numerous times and took several long breaks. With group hikes I always volunteer to be the sweep (last person in line) because one, I don't hear behind me and two, I enjoying doing my own thing back there … like taking pictures! With this hike I was able to stop, take pictures, retie my boots, take off my coat, put on my coat, take more pictures and still easily catch up with the group. 😃 There were ten of us including our hike leader. We went to Cape Lookout State Park on the Oregon coast outside of Tillamook, Oregon (yes… like the cheese… the Tillamook Cheese Factory is there). We hoped to see migrating whales from above but as clear, warm and sunny as it was back home in Portland/Vancouver, the coast was socked in with low clouds, fog and much cooler temperatures. It never got above 58 degrees (perfect hiking temperature) and the clouds never completely went away but it was a beautiful hike. The forest was lush and moist and I couldn’t believe how GREEN it was. Huge ferns… interesting trees… ferns and moss growing on those interesting trees… and so much greenery! It was beautiful!

We hiked 10.25 miles round trip. Our high point was only at 898 feet but as much as the trail went up and down, our total elevation gain was 2,894 feet – a great workout! I truly enjoyed the hike, the people and the awesome scenery.






 































































2019 Hike 14/52
Miles: 10.25



No comments:

Post a Comment