Sunday, May 26, 2019

Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge

Today's "hike" was short, simple and flat. I say "hike" because I was on a trail but really, it was just a walk. I wanted to get outside and move my muscles. I am surprisingly not sore from yesterday's hike... only if I poke at my thighs do I know I did something strenuous (or the dog steps on them!). I'm tired but overall feeling great!

This wildlife refuge is just a few miles from my home. I can't believe I've never been here before. You can drive around in a big loop and can also walk on trails, most of which are flat and wheelchair/stroller friendly. I brought my nearly 80-year-old mom along with me today. She got all excited over the many birds we saw (I'm definitely not a birder...) and really enjoyed the walk. My mom is still physically active and doing well however, I never want to take her on an uneven trail and risk her tripping so this was perfect. In addition to the many birds, we also saw deer, turtles, otters, cranes, and herons. It's a beautiful place and definitely worth returning to.

We walked 3.1 miles and had an elevation gain of 56 feet.












This Oak tree is over 400 years old






2019 Hike 17/52
3.10 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment