Saturday, May 4, 2019

Ramona Falls

Today’s hike was to Ramona Falls in the Mount Hood Wilderness area outside of Welches/Rhododendron, Oregon. I have viewed countless pictures of Ramona Falls online but for whatever reason have never gone to see it myself. My co-worker, Marissa, wanted me to take her hiking so after some research I decided this would be a good hike for her - someone that doesn’t own a backpack or hiking boots! She’s a runner so I wasn’t worried about the mileage - she could do long miles. I knew I could carry enough food and water for both of us and anything else we needed but I was concerned about the terrain. I didn’t want to take her on a hike that was too rocky or a trail that was still covered in snow so Ramona Falls seemed to be a good choice.

We got to the trailhead early and took off. I loved seeing Marissa’s excitement over the beauty of the forest. It turns out she’s a lot like me and would love to just drop everything and live in the woods! Tent life awaits us, my friend!



A mile into the hike we had to cross the Sandy River. River crossings are not my thing… I’m fearful, have crappy balance and don’t enjoy it at all. We walked up and down the bank of the river looking for an easy place to cross but no such luck. We went back to the logs that were somewhat secured in the area of the trail and decided there was no other way but this to get across.  I had to pull up my big girl panties and just go for it. I’m happy to report that I did not stall out, did not shake uncontrollably, and did not fall in! Go me! Marissa crossed like a pro!




It was a gradual climb up for another 3.5 miles to the falls. We were on the Pacific Crest Trail for awhile and talked about all of the thru hikers that had been and would eventually be in this same exact spot. Total admiration. I remember the first time I hiked on part of the Pacific Crest Trail... I was so excited and giddy! Marissa had the same reaction. There's just something special about it - feeling like you're in some way a part of something so grand.




Photo Credit: M.W.

Ramona Falls is GORGEOUS! Wow! It is magical... there is no other way to describe it. We sat at the falls in awe (all the shivering in the cold mist and shade was totally worth the view!), ate our lunch, took a gazillion pictures and talked about life. I really enjoyed getting to know Marissa a little more than just the co-worker I know in the office. She's such a good person and I definitely look forward to hiking with her again!





 

Photo Credit: M.W.





We eventually left the falls and found ourselves jumping across - okay... jumping half way across and splashing into - the Ramona Creek so we could explore areas on the other side of it. We saw huge mushrooms, a lush green forest floor, patches of snow and a very cool rock wall. We took a million more pictures and acted like kids on an adventure! It was great fun! 




Ramona Creek







 





Photo Credit: M.W.




Photo Credit: M.W.

There are always "friends" in the forest! Such a cutie! ;)


Of course we had to cross the Sandy River a second time on the return trip. Total success! ;)



Photo Credit: M.W.

It was another great day outside - lots of smiles, laughter and a newfound friendship. We hiked a total of 9.04 miles and had an elevation gain of 1550 feet.


2019 Hike 12/52
9.04 Miles


No comments:

Post a Comment