Tuesday, June 7, 2011

2010 Portland Marathon

(October 10, 2010) I DID IT!!! Today I walked the Portland Marathon... 26.2 miles! It took me 6 hours 29 minutes and 49 seconds - averaging 14:52 minute miles! Yahoooo! It POURED DOWN RAIN for the first 21 miles and I was soaked to the bone! The rain was miserable but I guess that's better than being overheated in the sunshine (which is NOW shining by the way!). I wanted to give up and sit down at mile 24 because I was exhausted. (What's up with me and the last two miles?! I did the same thing at mile 58 on the 3-Day walk only I DID sit down in that event! In fact, I LAID DOWN on the pier!) I had to start mentally knocking myself around to keep myself going! Besides, I wanted my finishers shirt and the medal! haha The marathon was not easy at all because of the pressure I put on myself to finish in a "reasonable" amount of time. I wanted to finish anywhere between six and half hours to seven hours, knowing it would probably be closer to seven. You can imagine my excitement when I finished in less time than I had ever hoped for! Yes, it was only by seconds but I did it! The next time I walk a marathon (of course I'm crazy enough to be already thinking about the next one), I will enjoy it more and not put so much pressure on myself for the time. As long as I finish in 8 hours (that would seem like crawling to me, wouldn't it?!) then I'm good!! I found myself comparing the Susan G. 3-Day with this event. Of course! I just walked 60 miles TWO WEEKS AGO so it's still very fresh in my mind. Anyway, the 3-Day spoils us rotten!!! Frequent potty breaks, plenty of food, water, music, etc. In the Portland Marathon, we had to grab a cup of water as we were flying by and actually try to get some of that water in our mouth! No sitting down and resting. No pink cupcakes. No homemade fudge, cookies or any other treats along the way (except for the gummy bears they were handing out which I don't eat). I think I enjoy being spoiled a lot more than busting my butt trying to beat a timer! haha Here's to a great couple of weeks walking!! I had the time of my life at both events... both were firsts for me and for that I'm very proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment