Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bake Sale

(May 9, 2011) On Saturday, May 7th, I had my very first bake sale to raise funds for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure! My mother and I baked all day on Friday making cookies, brownies and cupcakes. My mom knitted four baby blankets to sell but we really did not expect them to move off the table. I set up a stand in a nearby neighborhood where several garage sales were going on. We decorated with PINK everything and hung signs, printed off information sheets about breast cancer, about the 3-Day walk and about my own personal dedication and fund raising goals. We had breast cancer ribbons, stickers, bracelets and water bottles with pink ribbons on them! We had posters for our supporters to sign that will eventually hang along the 60 mile route in September. Peet's Coffee & Tea donated coffee, which we gave away for free to those coming to our stand. It was cold, windy and of course it was raining! We luckily were set up under a canopy. This bake sale took me out of my normal comfort zone of not talking to people I don't know because of my hearing loss. Most of the time I don't like to put myself in a situation where I might misunderstand or simply not hear and then come across as being rude or stupid (it has happened many, many times). Because of my belief in this cause, I found myself trying to talk to everyone! People were wonderful! We met survivors - one of which was a man - and too many people that had sisters, mothers, aunts, daughters or friends that had been diagnosed with breast cancer - some who had not survived. It was very emotional at times. Three of mom's blankets sold (we asked for $25 each). One of the blankets actually sold for $40 because the buyer wanted to give extra to support the cause! We sold out of brownies first and then the cupcakes and cookies were flying off the table! We were set up on the side of a neighbor's yard and they were very friendly and supportive. It was a lot of work preparing for and setting up for this bake sale but we were very successful and plan to do it again! We agreed that if we raised $100 we would be happy. We did better than we ever expected, raising $300 in cash and receiving a $20 check! It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment