Tuesday, June 7, 2011

2010 Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure!

(September 28, 2010) WOW!! What an amazing journey!!! Over the past weekend (Sept. 24-26) I walked in this event for the first time and absolutely had the time of my life! It was everything I expected and then some! It was such an emotional journey in so many ways. So, here I go again, before my shoes have even had the chance to dry out, getting ready for next year's event! Whoot Whoot - for the boobs!

There isn't enough space on this page to tell you about the weekend. You would have to be there to get the true feeling of it but let me just tell you, it was wonderful, emotional, exciting, amazing, exhausting, and so much more!! We started out in Redmond, WA and walked to our camp in Lynnwood (which just happened to be about a mile from my relatives' home I had just left early that morning!). You could feel the excitement in the air! The weather was cool and cloudy - perfect for walking. We had a few sprinkles during the day but nothing major. There were plenty of pit stops to refill water bottles, go to the bathroom, eat, fix blisters, seek medical treatment, etc. Along the route between each pit stop were the ever-so-helpful crew members directing us through traffic and making sure all our needs were met and those AMAZING, cheering, supporting spectators! Just when you felt you were too tired to go much further, another crowd of spectators were there along the route cheering you on, spraying you with water bottles to cool you off, thanking you, dancing, playing music, and offering coffee, water, and tons of homemade goodies! After a long day, camp was the most inviting place on earth! We ate dinner (steak, potatoes, green beans, salad and pie!), took our showers (built into 18 wheeler trucks!), listened to announcements and went to the "post office" and received wonderful cards and letters from family and friends (thank you!!!). The second day was more of the same - WALKING. The weather was sunny and warm - almost too warm at times but very nice. Sunscreen was a must as well as drinking those extra fluids! My husband, son, niece and nephew were at one of the cheering stations later in the day and I can't describe the feelings I had when I saw my husband across the street waiving his arms and running down the sidewalk to meet Brittany and I. I was overcome with joy, that's for sure! They gave our stinky selves big hugs and told us how proud they were of us, took some pictures, and sent us on our way to finish that day's walk. Many of us hit the tents early that night for some much needed rest. In two days we had just covered 44 miles. The wind was blowing and sometime during the night it really started raining. When we got up in the morning, it was POURING. What a way to start the third day! We lined up in our ponchos and caught a bus in the pouring rain to be taken to our next starting point closer to Seattle. We walked 16 miles and it felt like 90 at times. We went up and over Capitol Hill in Seattle and then through downtown and along the waterfront. We ended our 60 mile journey at the Memorial Stadium next to the Space Needle. What a sight to see with all the spectators welcoming us back and thanking us for all our fundraising and walking. I still get the chills just thinking about it. What an amazing weekend!


I'm ready and excited to do it all over again!! I'm giving myself through tomorrow to rest up and then will start walking AGAIN. I have the Portland Marathon (26.2 miles) coming up on October 10th and that's going to be a piece of cake compared to what I just accomplished! Here's to another great year of training! I have 354 days to get ready! :)










































No comments:

Post a Comment