Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Jingle Bell 5k

Nancy, Kathie, Cathie and me

On Sunday, December 2nd, Kathie, Cathie, Nancy and I walked in the Portland Jingle Bell 5k. It is a fun event because nearly everyone is dressed as some type of Santa, Ms. Clause or Elf. I like it because it seems like a run to kick off the holiday season. There were some really cute outfits and some not-so-cute ones too! haha There were even a couple of “presents”, one of which had TWO people in it. Cute idea but it must have been difficult to walk in that box together for three miles!  

This is a walk that allows children, dogs and strollers so it was crowded at times (4500 walkers/runners) and you had to watch out for all of them. However, it’s a costume party and a family walk so there is a lot to look at and smile about. I'm always impressed with the parents that have their children out there having fun while exercising. It's a great beginning for so many, especially the little ones that are already overweight. I'm even more impressed with the very overweight people out there (some with their children running/walking beside them) giving it everything they've got. I've been there and know how much effort it takes. They should be very, very proud of themselves!

The two women I work with, Kathie and Cathie, are new to the walking scene and are having a lot of fun with it. I started working with them in June and somehow managed to spread the walking fever! In fact, Kathie has become a WALKING MONSTER and has lost nearly 30 pounds! (YOU GO, GIRL!!) We signed up for this 5k a couple of months ago to get them started in the world of organized events. We never would have guessed that their abilities would already be beyond that of a 5k! Sunday’s event was a bit short for them (that’s SOOOO awesome!) but they had a great time! Nancy is Kathie’s good friend so the “fever” is spreading outside of the office too! (It is amazing to me to know that I have motivated so many people to start their own walking / weight loss journey. I have helped people change their lives! Wow. Unbelievable.)


 
Nancy, a tree, an elf, Kathie and Cathie

We walked the Jingle Bell 5k in 53 minutes, averaging 17:05 minute miles. Although the pace was a little fast overall for Kathie and Cathie, they did it and were very pleased with themselves! (We have since discussed that they really need to tell me to SLOW DOWN when it's a pace they don't feel comfortable with if we are all trying to stay together. I get lost in my own thoughts and just GO.)

Right before the start of the walk, Kathie shouted out that this was the “first day of the rest of her life!” She has such enthusiasm and drive! I love seeing her determination. I love seeing that huge smile of hers – a smile so bright with pride at what she’s doing and has been able to accomplish so far! I have no doubt she will continue down this path and lose the weight she wants to shed and continue walking many, many more miles!

On December 16th - two weeks from now - we are all walking the Portland Holiday Half together! I think the Half will be more fun for them! I’m really looking forward to walking beside these ladies while they transform their lives. I love that they share their excitement too ...
  • Kathie sent out an email to all of us stating that she would pick up our packets for the Holiday Half and added, "Don't forget to cut your toenails this weekend!" Cracked! Me! Up! That woman takes this marathon training s-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y!
  • Last night I received a txt message from Cathie telling me what she had done at the gym and that she had gotten a new pair of walking shoes!
This morning Kathie told me she was thinking about doing the Portland Marathon! THE FULL MARATHON! (I told you, she’s a M.O.N.S.T.E.R!) The marathon is in October so she has plenty of time to train for it. I’ve talked to her about joining a marathon training group, which she’s going to do. There is no reason at all why she won't be able to reach this goal! Soooooo... I guess I will have to jump in there and do it with her! (Doesn't take too much arm twisting to get me signed up! I'm a marathon junkie!)

Truthfully... Kathie reminds me a lot of myself when I first got the walking fever - you sleep, breathe, dream, eat and live for walking!  

I'm so proud of these ladies! They are going to go far!

No comments:

Post a Comment