Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Dog Mountain - the "More Difficult" Route

Sunset hikes for me after work are almost over for the summer. It was darn near dark by the time I reached the summit last night. As many times as I have climbed Dog Mountain, I have never chosen the "more difficult" route over the "difficult" route for obvious reasons! But last night I did! Woohoo! It cuts off nearly one-half mile (so it's steeper) and the trail is a constant uphill with only one spot where it's flat for about 50 feet. I liked it and will definitely be doing it again. 

The sun looked like fire through the trees going up and the sky was gorgeous at the top. The crazy wind up high nearly blew me off of the mountain but it felt wonderful after such a warm hike up. On the way down in the pitch black darkness... bats, a skunk, two scorpions, and a million crickets.














After seeing these on the trail, I don't think I'll be sitting on the ground 
for any boot shot again in the dark! Yikes!




2020 Hike 39/52
6.09 miles; 2824 feet elevation gain


No comments:

Post a Comment