Sunday, August 16, 2020

Sturgeon Rock

 A hike to remember today! I don't know what it was... the heat or just the actual location that made me all emotional today. It was definitely another hot, hot, HOT day. Sweaty hot and humid. We hiked a different trail than usual which was less steep in the beginning (it just hit us later on, of course!), longer, and more exposed (we hiked through a clear cut). Once we got into the shrubs and trees it was all uphill, humid and very buggy (annoying little things). After hiking for what seemed like forever (okay... I'm exaggerating) the woods opened up and there right in front of us was the base of Sturgeon Rock! I bent over and got tears in my eyes... seriously. I have no idea why but I was really happy we finally reached our destination.

Once on top of Sturgeon Rock I had a blast! I dangled my feet over the side, laid on the rock to peer over, and climbed up to the highest point around! Such freedom! It was really windy up there and for once I welcomed it because it cooled me off. After getting off of Sturgeon Rock, we hiked around the back side if Pyramid Rock. There wasn't really a trail back there and it was HOTTER THAN HOT but... we did it. I can check that off my list of trails because ugh... don't care to do that one again. haha I'll definitely but up on Sturgeon Rock again and of course up to the summit of Silver Star. :) 


























Just in case you're interested, this is the highest point in Clark County at 4183 feet. The andesite plugs Pyramid Rock (3579 ft) and Sturgeon Rock (4183 ft) are higher than Larch Mountain (3480 ft) but are outcroppings on ridges of Silver Star Mountain so Larch Mountain gets the designation of being the highest point ... but it's not. Silver Star tops out at 4386 feet but it sits in Skamania County, not Clark.   










2020 Hike 37/52
8348 miles; 2194 feet of elevation gain


No comments:

Post a Comment