Thursday, November 3, 2011

Back Update

I am going to have an epidural steroid injection (or two... or three...) and I am going to go to Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation. After all, walking is my sport and I am unwilling to give it up! Hopefully they can cure the sleeping foot problem. Rehabilitation greatly improved my life in the past and it is obviously time to refocus on my back and do it all over again.

The surgeons don't want to do another surgery on my spine... unless we have tried everything else first.  I don't WANT them to do another surgery on my spine AT ALL... even if we have tried everything else first.

It is unknown which is causing me the most problems - the herniated discs or the built up scar tissue.

Surgery on my discs would help for the time being but later down the road I could potentially be right back here where I am today. OBVIOUSLY, I am here AGAIN.  "Potentially" has already become an "actuality" so why bother?! I already know what happens.

Surgery doesn't sound like a very good option to me.

Surgery would cause the scar tissue to increase.  Scar tissue clumping nerve roots together cannot be removed.  It is a spinal disease - Arachnoiditis - and I have had it for several years, causing me problems such as severe nerve pain, major muscle cramps and an inability to completely straighten my legs. It has been a "sleeping giant" and not caused me pain for the past three years, after several months of acupuncture treatments put it to bed. Clearly the giant is awake again but still a bit groggy.  Let's hope he goes back to sleep.

Surgery doesn't sound like an option that's worth the risk.

Surgery would also greatly increase my chances of getting MRSA again.  I beat it twice. Would I come out the winner at our third match up ... or would It?

Surgery doesn't sound like an option at all.

I will go for the injections (somewhat reluctantly) and rehabilitation.  Hopefully it works.  It's imperative.

I am very determined to continue moving forward.

For me, that is the ONLY option.

1 comment:

  1. Go Girl! You are strong enough to do anything you put your mind to - if there is anything you need...

    Walk ON!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete