Saturday, June 22, 2019

Ape Canyon

Another enjoyable hike with the Mazamas! This was my first time on this trail and I really enjoyed it! There was plenty of elevation gain (in both directions) but it was gradual... like I was on an afternoon stroll. :) I was a little concerned about going on this hike because it's two days before my climb up Mt. St. Helens but I hike a lot and felt strong enough to be able to do it without wearing myself out. I also talked to the hike leader prior to going and she said we would take it at a conversation pace, not wanting to wear either of us out (she is climbing Mt. Baker next Thursday) so I was confident it would be fine to participate. I'm so happy I did and I definitely want to go back and do this hike again. The Ape Canyon Trail intersects with the Loowit Trail, which goes all the way around Mt. St. Helens, so there is a lot more to explore out there! Backpacking the Loowit Trail around St. Helens has been and is still on my bucket list! Now I want to go more than ever!

It was cloudy and cool out and most of our hike was in the trees. Our turn around point was in a wide open area with great views of the canyon and Mt. St. Helens (if the clouds weren't in the way). We could also see Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams. We had our lunch in the clearing and sat around visiting while soaking up the warmth of the sunshine (it felt so good!). We waited to see if the clouds would move away from the mountain but after 45 minutes it was time to give up and head back down the trail. It was a great day with a lot of very nice people. 10.09 miles; 3108 feet of elevation gain.












Ape Canyon







We could see the base of St. Helens






Mt. Rainier in the distance


This mushrooms was skinny and flat.
It looked like a potato chip.



Mt. Adams


The best view we had of St. Helens

This area was created by the water flow from the melted
glaciers when the mountain blew on May 18, 1980.




2019 Hike 22/52
10.09 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment