Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Week of the Lazies!

Since walking the half marathon last Sunday, I have done NOTHING at all towards my walking goals or my weight management!  In my defense (although it is a bit sketchy - I could have at least done weight training or the bike!), I was walking in the real heat last Sunday, which is something we really aren't accustomed to around here, and got my first blister in well over a year.  I knew I was getting a "hot spot" on the outside area of my heel but I ignored it and kept going, naturally!  By the end of the race, I knew it was more than just a hot spot.  I took my shoe off once I was safely sitting in the car and haven't had one on SINCE. THAT. TIME.   I didn't have a blister ANY MORE ... it had already come and gone!  It had burst and then rubbed raw enough to bleed.  Needless to say, it HURT.  In fact, it hurt all week.  I wore flip flops everywhere and it STILL hurt.  Today it is a lot better so I think I will "dress up" and actually put on some shoes.  :)

Okay... so it is Sunday again and I was supposed to walk 21 miles this morning with Vancouver Fit in preparation for the Portland Marathon coming up on October 9th.  Key words here: SUPPOSED TO.  I decided against it after a bit of help with my decision making skills from my husband, daughter, mother and friend!  You see, I have my favorite event coming up on Friday - the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure!  In other words, I have 60 miles to walk next weekend!  I am perfectly capable of walking today's 21 miles and I know it.  And if I really needed the practice walking long miles, I will get plenty of it at the 3-Day event.  I didn't walk today because I want my "blister" to be totally healed by the weekend and to start the event with happy feet!  My fear of walking today was that I would irritate that spot all over again and I just couldn't take that chance.  As I sit here typing though, I envy my buddies out there doing the big miles and wish I was there with them (I'm such a junky!). However, I know in my heart I made the smartest decision even though I wasn't happy about making it.

As for my weight management this week (or lack thereof), I have no excuse.  Not even a sketchy one.

I will do better this week.

Lesson learned: Don't ignore a hot spot... ever.

Fact about me: I would rather walk 20 miles in the rain than 3 miles in the heat!

UPDATE: My friends, who never get blisters, GOT BLISTERS TODAY! It was hot and humid out there! Whew... glad I missed out on that! Great job ladies on the miles!

While they were out getting their blisters, I was getting my toenails painted PINK in honor on next weekend! heehee ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment